Main content starts here.

Horai Bridge

Following a request to the Shizuoka Prefectural Committee by the representatives of Shimada Pioneer Committee, construction of a bridge across the Oi River was begun and completed on January 13, 1879. As wooden bridges were destroyed every time there was a flood, the supporting pillars were switched to the current concrete pillars in April 1965. In December 1997, the bridge was recorded in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest wooden bridge (length 897m), and has since become a popular tourist spot. According to an old story regarding the origin of the name of the bridge: Tokugawa Kamechiyo, the governor of Shizuoka-han in the Meiji Era, visited here in April 1870 to encourage officers of the Old Tokugawa Government who were engaged in developing Makinohara, and commented that ”this is a treasure mountain!”

Basic Information

Name

Horai Bridge

Postal Code

428-0024

Address

2 Minami Shimada City

Operation Information/Charges

From sunrise to sunset

Regular Holidays/Closings

Open all year

Parking

Parking

Available

Large Bus Parking

Not available

Remarks

Large-size cars5car  Small-size cars30car

Equipment and Service in Facilities

Pets

Not allowed

Toilet Facilities

Not allowed

Free Wi-Fi

Not available

Eating & Drinking

Not available

Transportation

If coming by the Tokai Shinkansen:

Shizuoka Station
(Route) JR Shimada Station --> Walk 25 min

If driving (Tomei Expressway):

Yoshida IC

Foreign Languages Spoken

Pamphlets

English

Foreign Language Explanation, Notes

Location Map

Click icons spots related to the map.

List of nearby spots

 

 

HOME > Horai Bridge